Upcoming VIPS Training
Registration is open for the following VIPS training sessions:
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (April 29)
- Jacksonville, Florida (May 6)
- Santa Fe, New Mexico (May 22)
To learn more and to register, click here.
Independent Sector Releases New Value of Volunteer Time
Independent Sector, a coalition of approximately 550 charities, foundations and corporate giving programs, recently announced that the new hourly value of a volunteer hour is $19.51. This estimate increased from $18.77 in 2006. Click here to learn more.
National Volunteer Week
National Volunteer Week will occur from April 27 though May 3, 2008. This year's theme is "Volunteer to Change the World". This special week offers opportunities to thank some of America’s most valuable assets, our volunteers, and to recognize the myriad of ways they improve our communities. National Volunteer Week reflects the power that volunteers have to inspire by example, volunteers both encourage those they help and motivate others to serve. The Points of Light Foundation and the Hands on Network have released the National Volunteer Week Resource Guide to assist agencies and volunteer coordinators with engagining, inspiring, and recognizing your volunteers. Click here to download the Resource Guide.
Visit the VIPS Web site to answer the April Question of the Month, How Does Your Agency Recognize Volunteers?
Grant Funding Opportunity for Local Volunteer Programs
The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation has announced an innovative program to provide $9 million in grants to assist caregivers nationwide. A Request for Proposals has been released to support the Family and Informal Caregiver Program making 12 to 230 grants ranging from $100,000-$300,000 per year for a maximum of three years for community-based agencies. Many VIPS programs already engage in activities to assist caregivers, which includes programs and activities such as You Are Not Alone (YANA), Are You Ok? (RUOK), TRIAD, Seniors and Law Enforcement Together (SALT) and many others. Eligible grant recipients include 501(c)(3) organizations, including aging and human service agencies, faith-based and other community-based organizations, tribal organizations, and units of local government nationwide. The grant application deadline is June 12, 2008.
Click here for more information.
Celebrate Safe Communitites
Long-time partners in crime prevention, the National Sheriffs’ Association (NSA), the National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC), and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) have teamed up on an exciting new project designed to help local law enforcement agencies and their community partners kick-off celebrations of Crime Prevention Month, an annual celebration. The Celebrate Safe Communities (CSC) project is designed to spotlight communities’ crime prevention efforts, enhance public awareness of vital crime prevention and safety messages, and recruit year-round support for ongoing prevention activities that help keep neighborhoods safe from crime.
This initiative will help local communities organize safety-focused events. Local CSC activities held in October to coincide with Crime Prevention Month will help Americans of all ages recognize that a safer community is no accident and that crime prevention is everyone’s business every day of the year. Take time to Celebrate Safe Communities by organizing local celebrations from October 2-4, 2008. Click here for more information.
March Question of the Month
Each month, a new Question of the Month is available on the VIPS Web site. The March Question of the Month, Who is responsible for coordinating your volunteer program? received 273 responses:
- 31% or 84 respondents answered a sworn officer
- 17% or 47 respondents answered a civilian volunteer coordinator
- 10% or 28 respondents answered a volunteer
- 42% or 114 respondents answered a combination of sworn, civilian, and/or volunteer staff
Visit the Web site for April's Question of the Month.
Newly Registered Programs
The following programs registered with the VIPS Program in March 2008:
- Bastrop County, Texas, Sheriff's Office
- Berkley, Michigan, Police Reserves
- BNSF Railway Police, Fort Worth, Texas
- Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Police Volunteer Corps
- Chelsea, Michigan, Police Department
- Clare, Michigan, Police Department
- Eastpointe, Michigan, Police Reserve Unit
- Guilford County, North Carolina, Sheriff's Office
- Haymarket, Virginia, Police Department
- Laurinburg, North Carolina, Police Department
- Milan, Michigan, Police Department
- Northfield Township, Michigan, Police Department
- Pittsfield Township, Michigan, Department of Public Safety
- Saline, Michigan, Police Department
- Wylie, Texas, Police Department