CEDAR RAPIDS POLICE VOLUNTEER CORPS
Gary Port, Lead Officer
505 First Street SW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
The Cedar Rapids Police Volunteer Corps (CRPVC) program was created in April, 2008 in an effort to further Community Policing efforts and work in partnership with community members. The purpose of CRPVC is to provide support for various functions within the Cedar Rapids Police Department, while increasing the level of service to the community.
The Police Volunteer Corps is designed to draw upon the experience of area residents, who as a group, represent a vast community resource. Trained volunteers are matched with a job that will enable them to contribute most effectively, based on their personal background and experience. Assignments include patrol and administrative duties. During patrol duty, volunteers serve as additional eyes and ears in support of the Cedar Rapids Police.
The CRPVC members will support the Cedar Rapids Police Department officers and staff and serve the community by:
(1) Serving as a deterrent to crime by being a presence in the community.
(2) Identifying and reporting City Ordinance violations and any suspicious or criminal activity.
(3)Developing and maintaining rapport with employees of the CRPD through work assignments and the ride-a-long program.
(4)Attending training programs to learn more about the ever-changing world of law enforcement.
(5)Completing specific assignments as directed by the Shift Commander or Sergeant.
(6)Patrolling designated areas during special events or as part of normal activities as assigned by the Shift Commander or Sergeant.
(7)Assisting Officers with traffic control when requested.
(8)Providing assistance during community activities such as parades, festivals, food distribution, bike auctions, etc.
The CRPVC will also incorporate and support other Volunteer Programs such as the Citizens Police Academy, Neighborhood Watch, Explorer Post, Operation “Loved One”, “Triad” Program, Chaplains and the Interpreter Program.
Patrol Activities and Other Duties
· Patrol School Zones, Walking Trails, Parks, Downtown Streets and Parking Ramps/Lots.
· Patrol mall and other shopping center parking lots.
· Patrol Neighborhoods that have requested more “visibility” of Police (eyes and ears only!).
· Assist with traffic control as requested by a CRPD Officer.
· Assist stranded motorists.
· Support enforcement of Handicapped Parking violations.
· Conduct vacationing residential home checks.
· Conduct Shut-in Welfare checks.
· Provide Search and Rescue assistance.
· Conduct abandoned property recovery.
· Shuttle squad cars.
Membership Requirements and Process
The PVC program is composed of volunteer adult citizens who are reasonably familiar with the area served by the Cedar Rapids Police Department, have no unfavorable criminal records, and an acceptable driving history.
Date established: April 2008
Number of volunteers: 12
Hours volunteers contributed last year: 327
Last updated: 5/11/2009
Cedar Rapids cracking down on yard signs again (9/21/2011)